Something terrible is happening. Some sort of creeping pathology that I can’t seem to contain.
I’ve started to call things by their American names! *gasp*
As I whinged to my mother the other day, I’ve started to call the chemist, the pharmacy. The supermarket has become the grocery store. The rubbish is now the garbage and instead of saying flat, I say apartment.
It might not seem like a big deal but it feels like I’m losing my cultural identity, word by word, and getting swallowed up by my neighbours across the pond.
So I’ve vowed to put a stop to it. Henceforth cilantro will be coriander, eggplant will be aubergine and zucchini will be courgette, dammit!
Zucchini Courgette & Avocado Hummus (makes about a cup)
- 1 zucchini courgette, peeled and diced small
- 1/4 avocado (a generous tbsp’s worth)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tsps tahini
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Stick all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Dust with paprika to serve and keep in the fridge for 4- 5 days.