“You have to watch out for the Pant Her.”
“PANT HER…..You know. Big cat.”
“Oh, you mean panther.”
“Yes. Pant. Her.”
That was the conversation between my mother and our earnest, but linguistically lacking, tour guide the summer our family went to Brazil.
As these things do, that incident has passed into family lore and it’s not unusual to hear my mother shrieking: “Pant! Her!” even now, many years later.
I thought of that lovely tour guide this weekend when dealing with the huge pumpkin that arrived in my weekly veggie box, because of my irrepressible desire to call it a Pump Kin.
Pant Her. Pump Kin. Much better. Perhaps he had the right idea after all.
Pumpkin, Basil & Chive Salad (serves 2)
- 2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 2 tsps finely chopped chives
- 2 tsps roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsps mayo
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps bacon fat or butter
- Heat the fat in a large frying pan. Add the diced pumpkin (make sure you dice it small so it’ll cook quickly and evenly) and set the heat to medium-high. Cook for 10 minutes until the pumpkin browns and is tender.
- Remove from heat and season well.
- Whisk together the oil, mayo, lemon and garlic.
- Stir the herbs into the pumpkin then gently fold in the dressing until well mixed. Serve or chill for later.
Like this? You might also like: