Beets make me angry. With the exception of a few, unique recipes, I just don’t think the effort/reward ratio is tipped in my favour with this vegetable.
It stains your fingers, your kitchen implements and your clothes pink; it is difficult to peel and (worse of all) it tastes like sweet dirt.
But I keep trying because beets are really rich in antioxidants and who couldn’t use an antioxidant hit every so often?!
These were surprisingly tasty. But there is one caveat – please use a mandolin slicer otherwise you will curse so loudly and long that your husband will think he has married from the wrong side of the tracks and re-think his vows.
Baked Beet Chips (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 large beets, peeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper
- Thinly slice the beets (no, really, they have to be very thin or they will take forever to reach the desired crispyness).
- Place on a lined baking tray and brush with the olive oil then season generously.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes, turning them once and brushing/seasoning the other side.
- Once brown and crispy at the edges, remove from the oven and leave to cool (they will crisp further at this stage).
Like this? You might also like: