I felt like a contestant in Chopped as I made this meal.
It was a Friday night, there was very little in the fridge and Hubs innocently asked: “What’s for dinner?”
Given that there was one lonely spaghetti squash in the vegetable drawer, a half-empty packet of bacon lurking behind the cheese and some fresh basil in the garden this was what was for dinner.
And considering that I once saw a guy on Chopped make guacamole from chocolate cake, I think Hubs got off pretty lightly.
Spaghetti Squash with Bacon Basil Pesto (serves 2)
- 1/2 large spaghetti squash, sliced horizontally and with the pulp and seeds removed
- 6 slices bacon
- a bunch of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Fry the bacon until crispy and remove from the pan. Roughly chop and set aside. Scrape up the leftover bacon bits and fat from the pan and set aside.
- Brush a tbsp of the bacon fat on the fleshy side of the squash, season and place flesh side down on a baking tray. Roast at 400 for 35-40 minutes until tender.
- While the squash is cooking, add the remaining bacon grease (this was roughly 3 tbsps worth), basil, garlic and parmesan to a blender and blitz to a paste.
- When the squash is tender, gently fork out the flesh and scoop out the squash ribbons. Toss with the basil and bacon bits. Serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like: