Dairy is my Achilles Heel.
I’ve tried to give it up so many times in my life, but it never sticks.
Why? Because cheese.
And cream. And yoghurt.
I’m making another push for it this January and so you might see a few more dairy-free recipes popping up on the blog (did you see the dairy-free chocolate last Friday, how good was that?!)
Happily this soup is creamy enough to appease the dairy monster that lives in my gut (thanks to addition of full fat coconut milk).
Its rage and despair has abated (for now) but tomorrow is a whole new challenge….
Mussel & Coconut Broth (serves 4)
*adapted from the Daily Mail
- 16-18 mussels
- 1 1/2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 in piece root ginger, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thai green curry paste
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsps fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, chili, ginger and leek. Gently fry until the veggies soften.
- Stir in the curry paste, then pour in the stock and mussels.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 6-7 minutes until the mussels open.
- Pour in the coconut milk, add the cilantro, heat through and serve.
Like this? You might also like: