Yes, I know every recipe in the month of December is a ‘Christmas…something’.
These eggs got the ubiquitious title because (thanks to the avocado and paprika) they turned out red and green, which kinda fits in with the festive theme.
I didn’t set out to make Christmas devilled eggs. I set out to make mayo/dairy-free devilled eggs and use up an avocado that was outstaying its welcome in my kitchen, like a lazy houseguest.
So the avo got mashed together with the egg yolks and a little bit of magic happened – they were delicious.
And, by adding avocado, you are really upping the nutrition content. They may look warty and ornery, but avos are packed full of healthy fats and vitamins that protect against cancer, lower cholesterol and improve heart health.
Just what you need to counter-act the Christmas binging.
Christmas Devilled Eggs (makes 8 servings)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 spring/green onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- dash of paprika
- sea salt and black pepper, to season
- Boil the eggs for 6-7 minutes until hard. Immerse in cold water and let rest for a minute. Gently peel and slice horizontally.
- Using a tsp, carefully scoop out the yolks into a mixing bowl. Set aside the empty egg whites.
- Add the avocado, cumin, lemon juice, garlic and onion to the yolks and mash well until combined. Season generously and stir once more.
- Scoop a tsp into each egg orifice (there’a sentence I never thought I’d type), and finish by lightly sprinkling each egg with paprika.
Like this? You might like: