All that talk of paleo pizza last week got me in the mood for a slice.
And I was especially keen to try the ‘meatza’ which sounded like a genius idea – replacing the crust with meat? What could go wrong?!
I turned to Nigella because that woman knows her food, and she didn’t disappoint.
It’s not your typical pizza. In fact, I’d class it as more of a pie.
But my belly doesn’t care about classifications. It just knows what tastes good and this tasted all kinds of good.
Meatzza (serves 4)
*adapted from Nigella Lawson
- 1lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Combine the mince, cheese, egg, oregano and garlic together in a large mixing bowl (I used my hands, it’s unpleasant but gets the job done).
- Press into a circular greased pan or dish, pressing down firmly with your hands until it forms an even ‘crust’.
- Drain the tomatoes very well until all moisture is wrung out of them. Place them on top of the meat in a uniform layer.
- Top with mozzarella slices and bake in the oven at 420 for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it rest a minute before spreading the basil leaves on top and serving.
Like this? You might also like: