Of all the produce I would grow in our fantasy garden, arugula would be high up on the list.
It’s like lettuce on steroids. You think you’re getting an average leafy green and then bam! the peppery taste hits you smack in the taste buds.
Sadly though our fantasy garden has to remain a fantasy for now because we have no outdoor space and a house that seems to repel sunlight.
And while we’re at it, I’d also like a fantasy hot tub, a fantasy back garden with a fantasy old oak tree and a fantasy tyre swing and a fantasy reading nook with a fantasy sunlight and copious fantasy pillows.
That’s not too much to ask, is it?!
Bacon, Avocado & Arugula Flatbread (serves 2)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. Pour into a mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs. Stir in the salt, oregano and garlic.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined 11 x 9 in baking tray. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes til firm.
- While it’s baking, fry the bacon and onion until the bacon is crispy and the onion soft. Remove from the pan and chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Take the flatbread out of the oven and let cool. Smear on the tomato paste followed by the cheese.
- Scatter the red onion slices over the top, followed by the bacon and avocado.
- Put under the grill/broiler for five minutes until everything melts together.
- Remove and serve with a handful of arugula leaves over the top.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday