Back in the bad old days, before I knew what healthy eating looked like, I served my sausages with a side of ketchup.
Ugh, corn syrup laden ketchup.
Nowadays I tend to make my own condiments and decided to do something a bit fancier for our easy mid-week sausage fest (that sounded so wrong, I’m sorry).
Red Onion & Jalapeno Relish (serves 2)
- 1/2 large, red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar (if you don’t have this, any unrefined sugar will do)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onions, cover and let them cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook for a further five minutes.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and pour in the vinegar. Turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce down to a goo.
- Transfer to an appropriate dish and serve.
Like this? You might also like: