I’m a bad ‘real foodie’ [hangs head in shame].
Even though the whole chicken I roast for our Sunday dinner every week comes with its liver intact, I’ve never eaten it.*
And this from the woman who wrote a whole post about how great liver is!
Yes, I’m a liver hypocrite. I tried to get it into my diet, I really tried…but I hate the stuff. It’s so foul.
But chicken liver is very different from manky calf’s liver so I decided to give it another go by blending it up with some of my favourite things – cream, butter, tarragon, garlic.
Although I can’t say I’m going to eat liver on a regular basis, this would definitely be my liver dish of choice. It’s rich, creamy and very good spread on a baked sweet potato.
*In case you’re wondering, I never threw it away. I just tossed it into my broth.
Chicken Liver & Tarragon Pate (serves 2)
- 2 oz chicken livers
- 50g butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp tarragon (preferably fresh)
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic then the chicken livers. Fry over a medium heat for two minutes then flip the liver over to colour the other side.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer to a blender, add the tarragon and blend to a paste.
- Chill in the fridge to set.
Like this? You might also like
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday.