Believe it or not the inspiration for these wraps came from that much-loved American classic, the Philly Cheesesteak.
But instead of the bread, I used blanched collard green leaves; instead of steak I used chicken and instead of it being from Philadelphia, it’s from my own head.
So basically it’s nothing like Philly Cheesesteak, I just saw a picture of one online and thought: “mmm, wonder if I could make that without the bread and with chicken instead of steak?”
It turned out lovely anyway which just proves that sometimes the most abstract inspirations give rise to delicious things.
Like that time I saw someone eating a pavlova and thought: “mmm, wonder if I could make that with coconut flour and some lemons” and ended up with lemon curd brownies.
Yes, sometimes my mind sidesteps rather than proceeding in an orderly fashion. I like to call it ‘being creative’.
Cheesy Chicken Wraps (serves 4)
- 8 oz cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsps butter
- 4 large collard green leaves
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Carefully add the collard leaves and let them boil for two minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion and mushrooms. Saute until golden.
- Assemble the wrap by placing half the chicken on the centre of one of the leaves, then a layer of onion and mushrooms and finally sprinkle over the cheese. Fold over both sides of the leaf into a wrap and repeat for wrap number two.
- Sprinkle the top of the wrap with some cheese then place under the grill/broiler for a minute until it melts, creating a cheesy topping.
Like this? You might also like: