One of my treasured childhood memories is of sitting transfixed in front of the TV while Julie Andrews warbled her way through “these are a few of my favourite things” with the Von Trapp kiddies gathered round her (man, I was jealous of those Von Trapp kids…until the whole escaping the Nazis things…then, not so much).
If I were to write those lyrics today, all my favourite things would consist of food.
Forget brown paper parcels all tied up with string (although those are pretty great too), I’d be blasting out: “chocolates and ice cream and coconut oil treats, bacon and eggs and some organ meats..”
Also making the list would be mozzarella, spinach and beefburgers. The holy trinity.
I’ve brought them together here to give you giant meatballs, with cheesey centres.
So delicious you may burst into song a la Julie Andrews.
Mozzarella & Spinach Stuffed Meatballs (makes 6)
- 1 lb minced beef
- 2 tsps stoneground yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano leaves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- 3 oz baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the shallots and garlic, let fry for a few seconds. Stir in the spinach and cook until it is wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a sieve, to squeeze out any excess water. Let it cool and drain for about ten minutes.
- Once cool, add the grated mozzarella and oregano, season and mix well.
- In a bowl thoroughly combine the mince, mustard, egg and flax seeds. Scoop out a handful and roll into a ball. Poke a hole in the middle of the ball and carefully spoon in a tbsp of the spinach mixture. Seal up the hole and proceed until all the meat is used up.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
Like this? You might also like: