Dog is snoozing beside me as I write this. He showed initial interest when I began clanging pots and pans around in preparation for baking, but gave me a pretty condemning eye roll as soon as the avocado came out.
Guess they’re not meaty enough for him.
What Dog doesn’t know is that avocados are amazing. I’ve been trying to eat more of them because they help prevent cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol and strokes.
Basically anything that ails you.
Baking with avocado is easy once you get over that initial “gross! avocado in my baked goods?! What deviant came up with that foul idea?!” moment.
Just swop out the fat in your recipe (ie butter or oil) for avocado. I’ve been doing that with my muffins and it works beautifully.
Not that there’s anything wrong with butter of course, but I wanted a nutrient dense breakfast snack and only avocado would do.
And, in case you’re wondering, yes you can taste the avocado. Slightly. It’s very subtle don’t worry.
Avocado, Carrot & Honey Muffins (makes 6)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup very ripe avocado, mashed well
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- Whisk together the eggs, avocado, carrot, lemon zest and honey.
- Sieve the coconut flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry until you get a semi-runny batter.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tray. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.
Like this? You might also like:
This post also appeared at Fight Back Friday.