Avocados are in season pretty much all year round here…or so says a friend who’s lucky enough to have an avocado tree in his backyard.
Sigh….the things I would do for a back yard, and an avocado tree (hint: some of them would be considered illegal).
But, on reflection, perhaps it’s a good thing we don’t have a daily deluge of avocados.
My avocado recipes are limited. I tend to stick to the favourites and make lots of guacamole/dips/salsa/salads.
Or do the lazy thing and chuck ’em in a smoothie.
But, if I’m going to do the classics, I like to mix them up once in a while.
I’ve used smokey bacon because it gives a nice rich flavour to this dip. It goes well with crackers, raw veg, toast…hell, I even had a dollop on some chicken breast.
Avocado & Bacon Dip (makes about a cup and a half)
- 3 slices streaky, smoked bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chives, very finely sliced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Fry or grill the bacon until browned and crispy. Let cool. Chop into 1cm pieces.
- Mash the avocado ’til smooth. Stir in the sour cream, garlic and chives. Season well.
- Add the bacon bits and stir. Chill until needed
Like this? You might also like: