There are people out there who hate Christmas. Seriously. I’ve even met some of them and they seem entirely normal.
I can understand hating spiders, Monsanto, running out of toilet paper or the latest song from the latest pop ingenue but Christmas?!
What is wrong with people?!
Christmas means family gatherings, time away from work, delicious meals and presents. Tell me one thing on that list that’s hateful (ok, some of you might not enjoy your families’ company, I will concede that point).
As you’ve gathered by now, I’m a fan of the yuletide season. As is belly who loves the traditional things about the holiday – eggnog, roast dinners, Christmas pudding, mince pies and mulled wine/cider.
It’s just me and hubs this year as we’re not seeing the inlaws until after the big day (which is wonderful because we get two Christmas dinners!) and I’m cooking.
The bird will be a chicken but I’m still finalising the details on the trimmings. Hubs isn’t keen on stuffing but I love the stuff and, as it’s my dinner, what the cook wants, the cook gets.
In this case, the cook wants a nutty, gluten-free stuffing packed with herbs, onion and a lot of butter.
Almond & Sage Stuffing (makes around 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 small, white onion, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps butter
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion, sage and garlic. Fry for five minutes.
- While the onions etc are gently sauteing, grind the almonds to a fine powder and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix the almonds with the onions, garlic and sage (pour all the mixture into the mixing bowl, without draining off the butter – you need that moisture).
- Stir everything together, season and shape it into two balls.
- Stuff into your turkey/chicken and roast in the oven with the bird. When ready just extract from the bird’s cavity and serve with the meal.
Like this? You might also like:
- Roast Chicken with Goji Orange Sauce
- Parmesan & Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
- Parmesan & Toasted Almond Grouper
This post was shared at The Healthy Home Economist.