While roasting chestnuts for breakfast the other day (as you do), I hit upon a revolutionary idea – why not stuff these babies inside dates?!
Why not indeed, and I set out to do just that.
Chestnuts, stuffed inside dates and brushed with shredded coconut are exactly the type of fancy appetizer I’d serve at posh Christmas parties.
If I had posh Christmas parties (our strengths lie in attending parties, not hosting them).
They can be serve cold or, for the more daring hosts, slightly warm.
For the even more daring, eat them for breakfast. I’m not saying that’s what I did…ahem…I’m just saying they might be good that way. YOU CAN’T PROVE ANYTHING.
Chestnut Stuffed Dates (serves 6)
- 6 large mejool dates, pitted
- 6 chestnuts, roasted and peeled
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (I’d go for the unsweetened stuff – not only is it healthier but you’re already getting plenty of sweet from the dates)
- Roughly chop the chesnuts. Slice a shallow cut vertically along the dates and stuff the chestnut pieces into the cavity created.
- Brush the stuffed dates with coconut oil then sprinkle coconut flakes on top. Serve.
Like this? You might also like: