Much as I love the Campbell’s soup kids (they’re ginger…c’mon!), I can’t condone their tomato soup which manages to be somehow both too salty and too sweet.
What’s that about?
In fact, it’s not just Campbell’s. It’s all tinned tomato soups. They taste like they were created in a lab rather than a kitchen.
And don’t even get me started about possible BPA contamination.
Creamy Tomato Soup (serves 4-6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 quart beef cooking stock
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a handful of fresh thyme
- 1/2 large white onion
- 5 celery stalks
- 5 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and thyme leaves then gently fry them in olive oil over a low heat until the onions turn translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chopped celery, stir and let fry for another few minutes.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to the pot.
- Add the beef stock and tomato paste. Bring to a boil before turning down the heat. Let the soup simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Process until smooth and return to pot.
- Stir in the cream and season according to taste.
Like this? You might also like: