Monday is a day for waking up late with your hair looking like it’s been to crazy town and back, spilling coffee on your only clean item of clothing, finding out that the dog vomited in the bath (is it just mine who does that?!) and realising when you reach the office that you’ve forgotten to put on deodourant (apologies co-workers!).
It is NOT a day for cooking.
After 20-something long years on this earth I’ve discovered that the secret to Mondays is preparation. Specifically in the kitchen.
And that is why I cook up a storm on Sundays.
I like to make something easy, nourishing and durable. Something that will taste just as good the day after…and the day after that.
This quiche is it. We’ll be eating it today for lunch and tomorrow and possibly Wednesday.
And no, I won’t get sick of it because it’s just that good.
Chicken, Bacon & Spinach Quiche (serves 6)
Coconut Flour Pastry:
*adapted from the Coconut Mama
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Whisk together the butter and eggs. Stir into the coconut flour and salt. Keep mixing until it comes together as a wet dough.
- Press into a well-greased 9in pie dish. It won’t behave like ordinary dough, you’ll have to do a fair amount of pressing with your hands but trust me, it comes out fine.
- Prick the bottom and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into small cubes
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium, white onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves (or two generous handfuls)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, chicken and bacon for 10 minutes. Add in the spinach and stir until it wilts. Take the pan off the heat.
- Decant the chicken mixture into your pastry and spread so it is evenly distributed.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Pour the liquid onto the pie dish until all the chicken and bacon mixture is covered.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 mins ’til firm. Let sit for five minutes before serving.